Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Love Story by Design

Well, it's that time of year - February 14th, the day of romance. I was thinking about why a Christian would decide to write romance stories out of the many genres available. Before I came to know the Lord, I confess that I picked up a few of those "other" romances out there, most of which left nothing to the imagination. Many of the stories were downright vulgar. Love was a thing, not an expression, not artistic, nothing to be enjoyed, and certainly not a celebration of the unique love God created to be shared in a marital relationship. But I did love the idea of romance, falling in love, sharing a kiss, popping the big question, and planning a wedding. As an author I wanted to write the adventure of it all but in a way that shared God's roadmap for a godly relationship. As my pastor told us on our wedding day nearly 19 years ago, love and marriage was and still is God's idea. His design. And done by way of His loving design, can be a beautiful and satisfying experience. And that's what I wanted to convey. Take the message of godly love, romance, and ultimate marriage, wrap it within the context of an interesting plot and setting, and share it with others. I wanted to prove that, yes, you can write a fulfilling story that glorifies love and ultimately, glorifies the Designer.


No comments: