Monday, March 17, 2008

Irish I am Not....


...but that's okay - I am having my corned beef and cabbage dinner anyway. And who can resist a nature photo like this of God's wonderful creation? And who can not help but remember that man of God long ago named Patrick who witnessed so many marvelous miracles? He had his times of testing and trial, certainly. Oh, but if we could for a moment tap into the faith he had. The perseverence. The desire to know God more and more, despite what one endures in this day to day living. We would see our world, our community, ourselves changed for the better.
Here is a wonderful prayer that I read today from Colossians 1: 10-11. Maybe you can make it yours:
"...that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowlege of God; strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy...
Patrick's life exemplified such things and it is good then to have a day to remember the saints of old who have run the race, keeping their eyes fixed on the Author and Finisher of their faith.
Patrick sums up his eternal faith with this quote:
"Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in quiet, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger."
Even if I am not Irish, I can share in his spirit that made him one with God.

No comments: