Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Endorsements

When one thinks of endorsing, you think of political campaigns where a familiar and popular person stands up and adds his or her voice to a candidate running for office. This tends to give credibility to the candidate and can even help the candidate rise in the polls.

And so I was given the task by my editor of finding would-be endorsers for my new book, "Love Finds You in Bethlehem, New Hampshire", making its debut this fall. I had to find advocates, if you will, fellow authors, published and fairly well known in the book community, to come out and be voices for my book. This is no easy task, especially when it comes to finding those willing to give of their precious time to read a book and look for good things to say about it. These writers are putting their credibility on the line. They are going to be advocates for a book to improve sales and my skill as a writer. It's a nerve wracking proposition, to be sure.

But I went forward and sent off some e-mails, looking for a few authors willing to read the book. Some knew me from the publishing industry. Some do not, but I took a step of faith and asked. And after a week, I have three authors willing to look the book over. I hope I don't disappoint them. I hope it's a book they can recommend. I believe it is. But the proof is in the pudding, so to speak, as is the proof in the endorsement. So I will know the result of this come July. And pray that I have a few writers willing to step up to the platform and say unequivocally - Yes, this is a good book. Buy it and read it! You won't be disappointed.

No comments: