Monday, November 9, 2009

Veterans Day and My Book, Seneca Shadows

This Wednesday marks Veterans Day when we remember our fine men and women who have made the sacrifice in defending our nation. I have been humbled as an author to bring some of these valiant stories to life in my books, and one of them being Seneca Shadows, currently reprinted in the collection, Mountaineer Dreams that is in stores right now. It tells the story of a captain who trains soldiers for maneuvers on the famed Seneca Rocks in West Virginia and falls in love with a girl who lives nearby.
I just recently received the most lovely e-mail from a World War II veteran who happened to read Seneca Shadows. I'd like to share what he wrote to me:

"I just finished reading Seneca Shadows. It brought back fond memories of my time at mountain climbing school at Seneca Rocks. I recognized the picture on the cover instantly. I took to mountain climbing like a duck to water. It was the best time I had while I was in the Army. I was with the 95th Infantry Division. Following climbing school we had mountain maneuvers and practiced our new skills with the troops. We were then shipped to Europe and ultimately to Omaha Beach in France. I was wounded and after my recovery I was in the Battle of the Bulge. After WWII I went to college on the G.I. bill and graduated from Cornell University as an Electrical Engineer. Many years later I retired as a Senior Scientist. My brother and his wife were mountain climbers also. Since I don't have email access they are emailing this "Thank You" to you for me."

God bless this brave man and so many others like him who have served our nation (including my father-in-law, Ken Bliss) and those who are currently serving now, including my nephew Andrew Braun, the son of a friend, Dan Miller, and a son of another good friend, Phil McDowell. God be with them and preserve them in the fight for freedom. Pray for them and all our armed forces.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a fantastic testimonial. Bet that made your day!