Monday, February 15, 2010

Winners in Life

This week the Winter Olympics are taking place in Vancouver. I have watched the games many times in the past. And many times I felt myself lacking. I tend to be fiercely competitive. I want to achieve. I want to win. I want to earn a medal. I recall going out on a run or taking a hike during the Olympic Games and thinking, well it is a bit of an achievement just getting out there.

The other day I was mentioning this particular longing to my husband, and he said, "Look at you! You've had over 15 books published. If that isn't an achievement, what is?" Yes, I have done that. I can marvel in the way God had led me in those areas. But I marvel, too, in another Olympic size achievement for me. That I did hike the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine. And it was not just my feat. It was God's as well - His ability for me to realize a dream and to go for it with all that I am and all that I have.

So now I don't look at this rings in a sigh of discontent. I have achieved goals and dreams as a Christian in this life with what God has given me. I have "gone for the gold." Maybe your dream of gold isn't some great physical feat. Maybe your goal is to publish that one book. Or even write that one book. Or whatever the dream is. To God they are just as important as any Olympian's dream to win a medal. For us, our final medal of glory is the crown of glory waiting for us in heaven. And God cheering us with the anthem words from His throne:
"Well done, good and faithful servant."

No comments: