Monday, October 3, 2011

A Pot Roast Kind of Day

Good Cooking Recipe of the Month #1

(I decided it might be nice to cook up something new, like a recipe of the month, born out of my journey that day. Here's #1)

Today I awoke to a raw, rainy day, ready to take several hikers who had stayed with us up to Shenandoah National Park so they could continue their hike of the Appalachian Trail that runs the length of the park. When I arrived at the entrance station, the ranger there told us, "Just to let you know, it's snowing up there in Big Meadows. Be careful."

Snow? On October third? It couldn't be. But sure enough, as I drove along the Skyline Drive, flakes of snow drifted down from the skies. It soon gathered on leaves barely showing their autumn colors, weighing down branches and then began collecting on the road. I delivered the hikers to their destination and thought, have we gone from summer to winter and bypassed fall?

On the way home I stopped off at the market and there happened upon a nice chuck roast on sale, approx 2 1/2 lbs. With the cold day and thoughts of snow lingering in the back of my mind, this piece of meat brought to the forefront a nice pot roast dish. And I know I will score as its one of my hubby's favorites.

Once home, out came the small roasting pan and cover. I salt and peppered the meat and browned it in a little canola oil on both sides. I then added a can of beef broth, covered it, and tucked the pan in an oven at 350 degrees to let it slow roast over several hours.

I then began peeling carrots and potatoes. I peeled some whole onions and cut up several stalks of celery. Into the pot went the nice assortment of veggies to cook another two hours, soaking up the flavorful broth.

Wahla. Out comes the pot roast, its aroma filling the house, putting to rest the discomfort at the thought of frosty, bone chilling mornings and instead, making me hope for more days like this when the house is filled with warmth and the inviting aroma  of another deliciously cooked meal. I thickened the broth into a nice gravy to serve over the meat. A perfect dish to welcome fall, even if there was a taste of winter thrown in for good measure.

Servings - depending on the amount of veggies you throw in: 4-6 servigns

1 comment:

Judy said...

I just fixed a pot roast last week. The whole house smelled of pot roast several days later! Yummy!

The wonderful part..we had left overs of it last night and believe it or not..it was still very delicious. My husband thanked me for being a wonderful cook. Does it get any better than this?!

Blessings,
Judy